A command-line tool for searching and downloading files in LAN network, without any central server.
- Decentralized : There is no central server hosting files. Therefore, no central point of failure
- Easy discovery of files: As easy as searching for something in Google.
- File download from multiple peers: If the seeder fails/leaves the group, leecher will continue to download from another seeder in the network
- Directory download: Supports downloading directories
- Resume download: Resume download from where you left off.
- Consistent data: Any changes(modification, deletion, addition) made to files inside the shared folder will be instantly reflected in the network
- Cross Platform: Works in Linux/Windows/Mac. More testing needs to be done in Mac.
How does it work ?
As soon as the program starts, it spawns the election daemon, folder monitoring daemon and server daemon.
- Manages the consensus.
- Notifies the server daemon as soon as there is a leader change.
- It coordinates with other peers in the network regarding contesting elections, leader unavailability, network failure, split brain situation etc.
- It uses multicast for peer discovery. The consensus description is mentioned here
- Indexes all the files in the shared folder
- Updates the entries in the database
- Informs the server about the indexed files and folders.
- Any changes made in the shared folder will trigger the folder monitoring daemon to index the modified files, update the database and then inform the server about the changes
- search for files
- download files
- change shared folder
- change download folder
- Updates received from folder monitoring daemon is fowarded to the leader. For example: indexed files/folders information.
- Updates received from the election daemon like leader change event, triggers the server to forward the indexed files/folders information to the new leader
- Queries received from the iwant client like file search is forwarded to the leader, who then performs fuzzy search on the metadata it received from other peers and returns a list containing (filename, size, checksum)
- Queries received from the iwant client like file download is forwarded to the leader, who forwards the roothash of the file/folder along with the list of peers who have the file. The server daemon then intiates download process with peers mentioned in the peers list.
- Updates received from the iwant client like changing shared folder, triggers the server daemon to make sure that the folder monitoring daemon indexes the new folder and after indexing is complete, the server daemonupdates the leader with the new indexed files/folders meta information.