Brutus was written originally to help me check routers etc. for default and common passwords.
Brutus version AET2 is the current release and includes the following authentication types:
• HTTP (Basic Authentication)
• HTTP (HTML Form/CGI)
Other types such as IMAP, NNTP, NetBus etc are freely downloadable from this site and simply imported into your copy of Brutus. You can create your own types or use other peoples.
The current release includes the following functionality:
• Multi-stage authentication engine
• 60 simultaneous target connections
• No username, single username and multiple username modes
• Password list, combo (user/password) list and configurable brute force modes
• Highly customizable authentication sequences
• Load and resume position
• Import and Export custom authentication types as BAD files seamlessly
• SOCKS proxy support for all authentication types
• User and password list generation and manipulation functionality
• HTML Form interpretation for HTML Form/CGI authentication types
• Error handling and recovery capability inc. resume after crash/failure.