Computer forensic is a branch of digital forensic science and an act to investigate, analyze, identify and collect evidence or information which is encoded or store.
Computer forensic science is a growing field and different colleges offers variety of degree in this field, however there are different tools and tricks available to do the job done. In backtrack 5 there is a separate section for forensic tools.
Beside tools and tricks there are numerous training available on Internet.
PTK forensics is a computer forensic framework for the command line tools in the SleuthKit plus much more software modules. This makes it usable and easy to investigate a system.
PTK forensics is more than just a new graphic and highly professional interface based on Ajax and other advanced technologies; it offers numerous features such as analysis, search and management of complex digital investigation cases.
- Efficient File Analysis
- Easier to use, PTK is based on Ajax
- PTK is a dynamic web application with centralised -Database. More investigatots can work on the same case at te same time
- PTK is a forensic analysis framework; in fact, PTK does not address incident response issues
- Its main aim is to help small groups of investigators execute complex consultancy quickly and efficiently
- A log of all operations performed by the investigators is kept
- Case features shared by: Multiple investigators and case lock
It is available on both free and pro version. It has been tested on various Linux distribution includes:
If you are using backtrack 5, than there is no need to download PTK because it is available on backtrack5.
- MySQL server 5 or higher
- Apache web server 2 or higher
- PHP 5
- Web browser (Mozilla, Safari)
After downloading, move to your apache www directory and extract the package. Open browser and use the URL to start installer page.
Note: If you want to learn more about Linux and Windows based Penetration testing, you might want to subscribe our RSS feed and Email Subscription or become our Facebook fan! You will get all the latest updates at both the places.