Before reading this article it is recommended to read the first episode of Virtual Private Network (VPN) click here to read.
As we have described on previous article that VPN is secure and uses encryption technique and create a virtual tunnel for communication, Windows XP provides a certain level of security by using Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) or Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP). They are both considered tunneling protocols – simply because they create that virtual tunnel.
If you want to create a VPN on Windows XP client that you do not need any third party tool or software, just follow the steps to configure your virtual private network.
- Go on Control Panel than double click on network connection.
- Create a new connection in network task.
- Network wizard is start click next.
- Choose the option “Connect to the network at my workplace” than press next.
- Click on Virtual Private Network than press next.
- Than it will ask you to type the host name or IP of the host, you can change this later. Type the host name and the IP of the computer to whom you want to connect.
- It may ask about smart card, you are about to done the wizard.
- It time to customize the connection you can reach your connection by your desktop if you made a shortcut while wizard or you reach it by network connection, than right click on it and click on the properties.
- The first Tab is the general tab which show the detail of the connection, you can change your setting here.
- The next is the option tab, at this tab you have various option to choose from you can change the redialing setting.
- The next tab is very important and it is security tab, at this you can configure basic security for your VPN client.
- Then the next is networking tab, you can choose what networking item used in VPN connection.
- last is the advance tab for configure firewall settings.
- Now the time is to connect your host to whom you setup the VPN open you connection type the user-name and password than connect your host via secure channel.